Sunday, February 1, 2009

Schaufensterbummel - Window Shopping German-style

We spent the last two weeks on a whirlwind tour of Germany - visiting Cologne, Frankfurt, Wiesbaden, Munich, Augsburg, and Hamburg. Amazing sights - from the famous (and gigantic) Cologne Dom (Cathedral) to the new mosque in Duisburg that is the largest in Germany. Delicious new foods and drinks - from Cologne's delightful Kölsch beer to traditional food prepared by us at a cooking class in Munich. I also spent a lot of time just walking through the charming pedestrian zones of each city. Here are some of my favorite store windows from my walks:

A store 100% devoted to the sale of felt- only in Germany

An amazing assortment of dried fruits in every color of the rainbow.

Not quite sure what's being sold here, but it's on sale!

A bakery chain that has really gotten into its advertising images - just look at the enthusiasm with which these women feed both themselves and each other!

And my favorite: an eyeglass store that used bottles of Jägermeister in its window display.
(Wear these glasses today and you'll have a headache tomorrow?)
In addition to photographing store windows, I also worked on perfecting the art of the self-pic on this trip. While Dominic spent mornings in seminars, I explored the many incredible museums of Germany and attempted to photo-document my adventures. Here is one of my better efforts:
Liz and Goethe pondering philosophy at the Goethe Haus in Frankfurt
(Notice no evidence of the outstretched hand...I practiced for quite awhile on this one)

We're back in Berlin now and I'm back in class. Next time I'll tell you how I got busted this week for accidentally swearing in class. For now, I'm going to make some tea and spend my Sunday evening relaxing - German-style!

3 comments:

Matthias-in-Neuseeland said...

Well - its allways good if the outstretched arm can´t be seen. Especially in Germany I guess ;-)))

I still haven´t left, but I am going to. Yes I can!!

Matthias

Emily said...

awesome self-portrait! sorry the other Bosch spouse wasn't there to hold the camera!

Marcy said...

it's almost mean to leave us hanging like that. but a good tactic.