Some highlights of the last month's spring activities:
Friday, June 5, 2009
Spring in Photos
My unexpected love affair with nature continues. In the past month I've spent more time outdoors than ever before. The sun stays with us now until past 10:00pm, parks are bursting with people, beer is flowing - legally, no less! - and all of winter's pain has been conveniently forgotten. Weeks ago I'd made a to-do list of final things for our time in Berlin (I am, after all, my father's daughter) and have been tackling it like it's my job. My list has been excruciatingly researched to both conveniently lump visits (why not visit that weird second-hand store after seeing the art deco museum across the street) and take advantage of cheap and free events (it took until May for me to hear the Staatsoper Orchestra - but seeing them perform Beethoven's 9th - free, with René Pape, and in front of the Brandenburg Gate - is something I'll never forget). I've got our remaining Thursday evenings mapped out to best maximize "free museum Thursday", too. Who said the recession can't be fun?
Some highlights of the last month's spring activities:
A visit to the Berlin Zoo - "home to the largest number of species of all the world's zoos"! After watching Knut nap for ten minutes, we moved on to more exciting animals - like this hideous rat pig! What is it? I immediately fell in love.
The Botanical Garten - after defending the location of our sleepy neighborhood all year, I actually believe what I'm saying. We can walk to see many amazing places from our apartment. Two Sunday's ago we took a leisurely walk to the gorgeous Botanical Garten. After marveling at the incredible number of cacti, we went in search of the "carnivorous plants" (a much more exciting description than if they were to just say "those plants that occassionally eat flies"). That stop was exciting, if only because I nearly fell into the display after leaning a little too close for a picture (while balancing on a wooden plank that was only nailed in on one side). The roses were incredible, the ice cream was cold, and I'd remembered to bring a blanket so we could take a nap under the sun along with all the other Berliners.
I've wanted to venture out to Pfaueninsel (Peacock Island) all year and was just waiting for the perfect opportunity. We rode out to Wannsee and took the 30-second ferry across the water to the island. Convinced there would be at least a bier garten and perhaps even a postcard stand, I was pleasantly surprised (okay, secretly a little shocked) to discover this was an island that only had one thing: nature. We walked the entire island in search of the famous peacocks and found plenty- just in time as our hunger was growing.
And speaking of being hungry...spring in Berlin means SPARGELZEIT! White asparagus is everywhere - and it's delicious. You may notice the schnitzel peeking out from beneath this glorious spread, but "shockingly" asparagus is often served as the main dish during the spring. Covered in a delicious hollaindaise sauce, it is unforgettable.
Ice cream is a big deal in Germany. Kids love it, but adults may love it even more. Cafes tout "ice cream menus" featuring an enormous variety of ice cream creations. At an outdoor celebration, however, we stumbled upon the cure for any American homesickness - ice cream that is literally "like American dream". Oh, I tried it. I went straight for the "American style milk shake" and it delivered. Chocolate. Large. But I did share.
Some highlights of the last month's spring activities:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I adore warthogs!!!
Me too! I also took a video of them snorting. Who needs zebras and lions?
Post a Comment