Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Markets + Christmas Parties + GRE Prep = A Great Week

My friend and I stumbled upon this empty church while on a walk in a small village outside of Berlin. Except for the tree, every light was from an actual candle, burning all alone in this magical little place. Take that, Rick Steves!


Lest you think all I do is drink mulled wine and eat desserts, I have to let you know that I have been studying like crazy for the GRE the last 6 weeks. Reviewing algebraic equations I learned in the 9th grade actually doesn't help me learn German, in fact, it seems to really confuse my brain, so I'm taking a brief hiatus from my German class until the test is over next Monday. In the meantime, though, I've upped the cultural experiences (which may be more helpful anyway) in the name of education.

Last week I attended two Weihnachtskaekse Backen (Christmas cookie baking) parties. The first one was with one of the American fellows, Emily, who can speak the hell out of some German and has German friends to boot. Another reason why Emily is fun? Not only is Jewish and still planned a Christmas cookie baking party, but she is from the West Coast and says things like "rad." I don't know how it's possible to remain type A when you're not even working, but when I'm hanging out in "A" land I like to hang out with Emily and her husband to get me at least down to type B. So, we got cracking on that dough (we're all low-tech here in Germany - no "mixers", no "stoves that don't light themselves") and had a great evening speaking Denglish with each other.

Turns out that was an incredible preparatory experience for Friday, which was my ultimate day of Deutsch. My tandem partner invited me to go with her to an amazing village outside of Berlin to spend the day baking cookies with two of her friends. I've been telling her I really need to spend more time attempting to speak - not just listening - so she put the smack down on me. We had 8 hours of Deutsch. Eight. The beauty of doing manual labor while socializing is that you can take a time-out from speaking in the name of "concentrating on the dough kneading" or to focus on separating the gelb (yolk) from the ei (egg). On the way home, though, I nearly waved the white flag and shouted "Mein Kopf ist voll!" because my brain literally could not take in any more sprach-in'. Speaking is how I will get the job done, though, and I am thankful for the opportunity.
Leave it to the Germans to make a cookie in the shape of a pretzel! My favorite kind are the stars ("zimtsterne") - delicious! We bought our Advent "wreath" at a local market.

You're wondering how I'm doing on the Christmas markets. I've just hit the 15 mark, with hopes of hitting 25 by Christmas. FYI - Berlin is a lot bigger than DC. Back in DC, it seemed like a big commitment to go to Northern Virginia on a Saturday night, but now we're used to most trips taking nearly an hour with multiple modes of transportation.

I'll declare a mid-season market favorite: Domäne Dahlem (http://www.domaene-dahlem.de/). If you're from Michigan you've undoubtedly been to Greenfield Village - an outdoor living history museum. While this is on a much smaller scale, it had the same feel and we had the most amazing afternoon browsing beautiful arts & crafts, playing with chickens, and watching kids climb on tractors. This was the first market I've been to that still had a magical quality to it in the daytime. Most aren't worth going to until the sun is down (luckily, you only need to wait until 4pm) and the lights are lit.

In the past week I've seen another live nativity scene, countless small bands and musical acts, and various Santa figures. Here are some favorites:

A band made up of guys who work for the BVG (public transportation system) - their name was "Die Picolos"

It wouldn't be Christmas in Germany if you couldn't tell someone you loved them
with a heart-shaped gingerbread cookie.

LIVE DONKEYS

Busted by the accordion player while taking this picture. She was amazing.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing Liz! What might also make you really happy is knowing that because we made so many cookies I gave some to my friend at work to give to her son. She took them to the Kita with her (German Kindergarten) and they were devoured by little kids in like 1 minute! Rad! ;)