Thursday, November 13, 2008

Auf Englisch is Awesome (But Deutsch is Good, Too)

Trading in my German beer for a cosmo with my mom in the US of A.

Hallo! I am back in Berlin after nearly three wonderful weeks in DC and Ohio. I expected to experience some culture shock, and in between visits with family and friends and stuffing my face with my favorite foods, I did.

The most striking thing that I remembered is that I'm not a shy person. I actually enjoy talking to people. I remember now what it's like to speak in complete sentences. Without pauses. Without made-up words. To not answer every question with a tentative "yes?", and nod - smiling - no matter what is said. In fact, I relished the chance to speak (somewhat) intelligently to everyone I encountered. Have a long wait in line? Why not chit chat about the weather! Cashier say goodbye to you? Why not say goodbye back, plus "have a good night!" and "thanks again!" and "sure like your outfit!" I quickly became the queen of small talk, let alone large talk - there were a lot of long catch-up conversations to be had. My German cough followed me to America, but I think this time it was because I just wouldn't shut up. I was loving the "auf Englisch."

I gave myself a day off of language class upon my return and didn't head back until last Friday. It was on my way to class that I remembered why riding the U-Bahn here is so fun. A traveling musician was performing a stirring rendition of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" to a full car of uninterested passengers. (As usual, I'm the one person incapable of hiding my interest by giving any musician, good or bad, my rapt attention - complete with unwavering eye contact and supportive smiles.) As English was not his first language (the word "heaven" was nearly unintelligible) I had to rely on the melody to even figure out what he was singing. (This girl is not one to judge, though - I don't even know the German word for heaven, let alone know how to pronounce it. In fact, it made me like him even more.) At the stop after mine, a group of 12 young children (only 4 or 5 years old) entered the train with their nervous chaperones. Alas, there were no seats, so they stood in a line, holding hands, down the middle of the car (all too short to hold onto anything). When the train began moving, it did so with a dramatic jolt, and the entire row of kinder fell like dominos - perfectly in sync with the most raucous refrain of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" yet. They quickly picked themselves back up with nary a reaction and got ready to exit the train just one stop later. As they exited, a blind man waved his walking stick around to make sure everyone got out of the way for the kinder. He was furiously trying to make sure none of them were left behind. (No actual affiliation with the school group - just being a good samaritan, I suppose.)

I described this scene as "a perfect storm of wonderfulness" to my family and they said it's no wonder I have trouble learning a new language. I don't even like to use my native language correctly. This is quite true. Either way, good entertainment for a ten minute ride.

2 comments:

annie said...

Liz! I love your blog! Sounds like you are getting a lot out of your new cultural experience :) I'll be back in Berlin in December for a few days. We'll have to meet up for a Gluehwein auf irgendeinem Weihnachtsmarkt! Annie

Rollo Romig said...

FYI, the German word for heaven is Himmel, as in Christi Himmelfahrt (aka Christ's ascension into heaven), which, if you're 15 years old like me, is the most hilariously named German holiday.